Colorado Supreme Court

Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel

Promoting Professionalism. Protecting the Public.

Registration FAQs

General Registration FAQs

How do I update my information?

Attorneys can update their contact information and compliance statements as part of their annual online registration. If you have already completed registration for the current calendar year, information can be updated by using the Change of Contact Information or Compliance Statements forms.

How do I change my status?

Attorneys can update their status as part of their annual online registration. If an attorney has already completed registration for the current calendar year, please complete and submit the Change of Status form. There may be an additional fee for active status change.

How do I change my name?

To change your name with the Office of Attorney Registration, mail in a written request that includes the following: your registration number, your old name and your new name. You must include a photocopy of the related court order (marriage license, divorce decree, etc.) along with your request. This document does not need to be certified or notarized. A court order showing that your name has been changed with the Colorado Supreme Court will be mailed to you when it has been completed. A bar card in your new name will be mailed to you. If you would like a wall certificate in your new name, please see instructions below on how to order a new wall certificate.

How can I take the oath of admission?

Once the Office of Attorney Admissions clears you to take the oath, you can attend the next admission ceremony or take the oath before a Deputy Clerk in our office. To find the date of the next admission ceremony, contact the Office of Attorney Registration at 303-928-7800. You can also reach the office by email at Learn more about taking the oath.

When will I get my wall certificate?

Our office orders wall certificates twice a year after each admission ceremony, so depending on the timing of your request, it can take up to six months for you to receive your wall certificate. If you need a replacement wall certificate the fee is $27.50. To obtain a wall certificate please contact the Office of Attorney Registration at 303-928-7800. You can also reach the office by email at

When will I get my bar card?

You should receive your bar card about 30 days after you are sworn-in and/or from the date you pay your annual registration. If you need a replacement card, the fee is $10.00. To obtain a new bar card please contact Attorney Registration at 303-928-7800. You can also reach the office by email at

How do I obtain a Certificate of Good Standing?

A Certificate of Good Standing costs $15. If you would like to request a Certificate of Good Standing please complete this form to process your request and payment.

How do I apply for limited license admission and certification?

You must follow the rule requirements for each type of limited license or certification and apply by submitting the appropriate form. You can learn more about these admission types here.

Electronic Attorney Registration FAQs

What forms of payment are accepted?

Attorney registration fees can be paid online using:

ACH (bank checking account electronic transfer from banks in the continental United States only).
Credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express).
Firm administrator payment on-line.

Will foreign funds be accepted?

Yes, but only when paying by credit card.

What do I need to access my online account with the Colorado Supreme Court?

Please contact the Office of Attorney Registration with this question. After contacting our office, we will send you a postcard detailing this information. For security reasons, we will not provide this information over the phone or by email.

How does a law firm pay online?

It is recommended that law firms pay online by using the firm administrator option on the online registration. When the firm administrator payment option is selected the system will request a firm administrator's email address be entered. Notification is then sent by email to the firm administrator of the pending attorney(s) requesting payment. A firm can only use this option for the attorney(s) that select this payment option and provide the necessary information.

Do attorneys inactive and 65 or older have to register?

Attorneys on inactive status must complete the registration and pay the fee. Inactive attorneys 65 years or older must file a registration statement but they do not pay any registration fees. If the attorney wants to become active, they will need to contact our office for a status change.

Do I have to pay fees if I am on inactive status?

Any attorney who is under 65 years of age is required to pay the inactive registration fee and file an annual registration statement.

I have not received my Attorney Registration post card.

Please contact our office to request another be sent.

How will I know my payment has been received?

You will receive an email confirmation of payment received within 24 hours of making your payment.

Can I pay by credit card with an international address?

Yes, we will accept a valid credit card from any region.

Can I pay by electronic check drawn on bank outside the continental United States?

No, due to international banking restrictions electronic checks or ACH transactions can only be drawn against banks in the continental United States.

Am I required to carry malpractice insurance?

You are not required to carry malpractice insurance. The malpractice compliance questions require disclosure of whether or not you carry malpractice insurance, and if you do, the name of your carrier.

Why did I get assessed a penalty fee?

Payments received after the February 28th and/or March 31st deadlines incur additional penalty fees.

Will my payment cover my Colorado Bar Association dues?

Colorado is not an integrated bar state. Membership and fees for the Colorado Bar Association are voluntary. The Attorney Registration Office is the attorney licensing office for the State of Colorado. Payment of registration fees to the Colorado Supreme Court is mandatory to maintain a license and is separate from any dues or fees charged by the Colorado Bar Association.

When do I stop paying fees?

All active attorneys, regardless of age, pay the current active fees. Inactive attorneys are exempt from paying inactive registration fees the calendar year in which they turn 65 (even if you are not yet 65 at the time of registration).

Why doesn’t my email address work to log in?

You will need to log in using the email address that we had on file for you at the beginning of November. This will be your log in email for this registration cycle even if it is an email that you no longer use. You don’t need to have access to the email account; it is just your username. You can update your email address once you have logged in.

If I update my address through the online Registration portal, do I still need to send a separate address change request?

No. If you update your information through the online portal, you do not need to submit an additional address change request with the same information. .

If I sent a separate address change request, do I still need to update my contact information when I do my online Registration?

Yes. If you are completing your Registration online and the correct contact information is not listed, please update your contact information. You must make sure that your contact information is up to date and accurate.

How do I get a receipt for my Registration?

Go to Log in using the credentials that you used to register. If you have completed your registration, you will be taken to a page where there is a link to print your receipt.

Will I be able to change my status through the online Registration portal?

Yes. You can update your status at Step One. If you update your status through the portal, you do not need to submit an additional “Change of Status” request.

Do you honor the postmark date for Registration checks?

No. Registration payments must be received in our office by the deadline. We do not honor the postmark date. Please plan accordingly for potential mailing delays.

I am the firm administrator. How do I set up an account to pay attorney Registration fees?

Under Step 7 in the Registration portal, the attorney must select that they are paying by firm administrator and list your email address. You will receive an email with further instructions on how to make the Registration payment.

I need to update my Registration information, but cannot go back to previous steps. How do I update my information?

Once you are at the payment step (Step 7), you will not be able to go back to previous steps. You may continue and finish the Registration process. However, you will need to submit additional documentation to our Office to update your information. To update your contact or compliance information, please complete the “Change Contact Information Form” or “Compliance Statement 2022.” Both forms can be found here. The forms can be emailed to

Registration FAQs for the Public

I'm looking for information about an attorney, what can you provide?

Our office can provide information concerning an attorney’s business address, current registration status, responses to private practice and malpractice compliance statements, date of admission and a status history. Home addresses and all email addresses for attorneys are kept confidential and not provided to the public.

Where can I look up an attorney’s address?

Information about an attorney can be searched using attorney search.

How do I file a complaint against an attorney?

For information on filing a complaint, please contact the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel at 303-457-5801.

What can you tell me about an attorney’s malpractice insurance coverage?

Colorado attorneys are not required to carry malpractice insurance coverage but they are required to disclose if they do or do not have coverage. Beginning on December 1, 2016, they do have to disclose the name of their malpractice insurance carrier.